Southside Mower has been a flourishing business in Tallahassee for over 30 years. Southside Mower was opened on October 10, 1978 by the brother and sister pair of George Coumanis and Chrisie Coumanis Hughes. When the pair ventured into business, their goal was simply repairing small engines, dirt bikes and motorcycles. It wasn’t long until the business was so busy that they had to immediately expand in order to meet their customer’s demands. The business then grew from a small repair shop into a full line outdoor power equipment retailer and service center with 6 full-time employees.
In 1985 Southside Mower relocated one block south to their current location at 1885 S. Monroe Street. They went from a small, cramped 1200 square foot building to their newly built 10,000 square foot shop. The business was then able to expand more than earlier thought possible with up to 16 employees and retailing multiple product lines including Stihl.